By carefully managing your seasonal needs and using the right staffing partner, you can improve your production and shipping operations, fulfillment times, and your bottom line...
Adequately staffing your business is crucial year-round, but especially so during the holiday season. Hiring the right employees and providing them the right training can be highly beneficial to your operations. With the right staff, production can roll along more efficiently. Shipments can be picked, packed, and shipped faster. Stock rooms and warehouses can be more organized, and employees will make fewer mistakes while helping to improve return rates for the future. Let’s take a look at five recruitment tips for what, for many businesses, is the most important time of the year.
1. Plan early. Each year, businesses hire hundreds of thousands of seasonal workers. To ensure that you don’t miss out on the top talent, establish how many workers you need to hire early in the year, and start negotiations with your staffing agency early, while the applicant pool is still large.
2. Partner with a great staffing agency. The right staffing firm can take much of the burden of seasonal staffing off of your shoulders. By handling most of the recruiting process, offering an attractive pool of pre-screened candidates, and eliminating many of the administrative tasks associated with a temporarily increased workforce, staffing agencies can save you and your business tremendous amounts of both time and money.
3. Let your employees help. Satisfied, hard-working employees are some of your greatest advocates. Ask them to refer applicants for openings and offer them incentives to do so. Many companies use employee referral programs as one tool among many to find quality candidates.
4. Ask the right questions. Make sure your staffing agency has clear criteria on your seasonal worker needs. When interviewing applicants from the agency, communicate the expectations and responsibilities of the position clearly. If the job requires working late on nights and during holidays, be forthright about those responsibilities.
5. Train employees properly. No matter how large your seasonal staff grows, providing them with the right training can make a considerable difference for your bottom line. Work with full-time and top seasonal employees to develop a training program for each type of position you need to fill—then incorporate it into your onboarding process to get your new team up to speed. Consider cross-training your workers for extra efficiency during peak production and shipping times.
With the right planning, good retention practices, and efficient training, your business can be in great shape for the holidays. By carefully managing your seasonal needs and using the right staffing partner, you can improve your production and shipping operations, fulfillment times, and your bottom line.
Don’t hesitate to contact Luxor Staffing regarding your staffing needs—we welcome the opportunity to answer any questions or provide additional information—we’re here to help!